Powered By Blogger

06 March, 2007

ApacheTomcat + Spring with netbeans on the side

One of the most unnerving experiences (apart from 2 earthquake tremors in one day, yeah there was an aftershock later) would be installing Apache Tomcat and making it work with netbeans and not to forget Spring Framework....
Lemme start off with my tale of woe and then later go onto the part where I let out the secret of how to get it working finally ...(yes, may google be blessed! after a day's worth of googling I found all the missing links and got the setup working)...

Tales of woe are pretty useful especially in the technological field ( but I know no one is gonna particularly find it useful to hear me grumble with intricate details of my every hour on that fateful day!!)
But I can include a few lines of what - not - to - do s....

If you are looking for Apache Tomcat its best to go in for the preconfigured zip file
http://www.coreservlets.com/Apache-Tomcat-Tutorial
/Preconfigured-Tomcat-Version.html

cuz the installation steps require a LOT of changes otherwise and its best NOT to try doing the configurations urself unless of c you are a masochist, then by all means please go ahead!

The tricky part is learning to set the PATH and CLASSPATH etc which is necessary and you could go ahead using the cmd (command prompt) for it OR use Control Panels - >System ->Advanced Tab ->Environment Variables.

After that of course try running your tomcat by clicking on "startup.bat" in the bin folder and goto ur nearest web browser and type http://localhost:8080/ (depends on ur port number, I set it to 8080)
If all is well you would see the apache page, and then you can give ur first sigh of relief. :)

Ok, the problem I faced was basically due to trying to configure things myself. Of course this is as I mentioned before - pure torture...

If ur using netbeans then simply unzipping spring framework and adding it to your Library will do the trick --- now ur ready my friend , try making some programs...of c its gonna be hard trying to figure out how many config files u gotta write...but I am sure u can google it. I am gonna start on that now *hope still prevails*

1 comment:

abc said...

Nice.Helped a lot